When we begin the search to hire our summer leaders, we first look for individuals who absolutely love the game of soccer. The incredible travel opportunities provided by working for Woza allow us to to be highly selective in choosing our leaders, who are required to attend a comprehensive leader training at Woza Soccer HQ in Seattle at the beginning of every summer.
No two leaders are the same, but most of our trip leadership staff fits the following criteria:
- Successful Student-Athletes: We look for current or former college soccer players from some of the nation's most selective institutions.
- Leaders: Our staff takes the idea of leadership seriously, with experience as team captains and club presidents. They hone the craft of leadership through their regular activities and at Woza's mandatory leader training, held in Seattle, WA before every summer.
- Educators: Our leaders love working with youth and have a wealth of experience doing it across former roles in teaching, coaching and trip leadership.
- Travelers: One of our mottos is "Travel with soccer in your back pocket" and we look for leaders who have done this - globetrotters who know what it's like to coach a Ecuadorian village team during a semester abroad or use a juggling circle to make new friends at a hostel in Prague.
Past Leader Profiles
Hannah Van Wetter
- Williams College c/o 2015
- From Denver, CO
- Captain, Williams women's varsity soccer
- Wilderness trip leader for Overland Summers
- NESCAC Champion, NCAA Elite 8 appearance
- D3soccer.com 2nd Team All-American Goalkeeper
- Bowdoin College c/o 2009
- From Framingham, MA
- Captain, Bowdoin College men's varsity soccer
- Math Faculty and men's varsity soccer coach, Pingree School (MA)
- Played semi-pro for Seacoast United Mariners (NPSL)
- Club coach, Massachusetts Premier Soccer (MPS)
- Lived in South Africa 2009-2010 working for GrassrootSoccer